Resolute Treatment Center in Indianapolis, IN, is the trusted provider of treatment for male youth with sexually maladaptive behaviors.
Sexually Maladaptive Disorder Treatment
During adolescence, some sexual exploration is a typical part of the developmental process. However, there are some behaviors that may go beyond harmless, innocent curiosity. In some cases, there are sexual behaviors that present a risk to the well-being of the child and the other children that he interacts with. Sexually maladaptive behaviors consist of those that are grossly out of proportion to the appropriateness of the child’s age, or of behaviors that continue to occur even after a child has been told to stop or continues to do despite consciously knowing they are wrong. While the presence of sexually maladaptive behaviors can cause immense devastation on a child’s life, as well as on the lives of others who he inflicts his behaviors upon, there is treatment available.
Resolute Treatment Center is a premier treatment provider for male adolescents between the ages of 12 and 17 with special consideration given to those 18 to 21 years of age who are struggling with sexually maladaptive behaviors and other emotional and behavioral impairments. Located on the west side of Indianapolis, our 106-bed residential treatment center provides a broad continuum of care that is tailored to meet the unique needs of each child and family who entrusts us with their care. As the only treatment facility in the state of Indiana that exclusively treats adolescent males with sexually maladaptive behaviors, we remain steadfast in our dedication to providing preventative placement and post discharge clinical home services that are designed to afford adolescents the most comprehensive care available so that they can begin walking on the path to the brighter future that they deserve.
Helping A Loved One
As a parent or caregiver, it can be difficult to determine if your loved one needs a program such as Resolute or other therapy. When thinking about helping your loved one, consider the following factors. For those who are engaging in sexually maladaptive behaviors, one or more of the following characteristics are typically present:
- The behavior goes clearly beyond what would be considered normal for the child’s developmental stage
- The behavior is associated with strong emotional reactions, such as anger and anxiety
- The behavior interferes with typical childhood interests (e.g. playing sports, etc.)
- The behavior involves threats, force, or aggression against others
Children and adolescents with problematic sexual behaviors may often display additional behavioral and social difficulties, including:
- Acting impulsively / failing to act before thinking
- Having extreme difficulty following set rules or listening to and obeying authority figures
- Having a limited ability to self-soothe / limited coping skills
- Has difficulty making age-appropriate friends and instead tends to play or spend time with younger children
While we understand that it may be difficult to admit, if you notice any of the following characteristics, please seek help immediately. We are here to provide superior care as a team with you and your loved one.
Why Consider Treatment
When sexually maladaptive behaviors are left unaddressed, children and adolescents will ultimately come to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with the way in which they behave. Without proper intervention, the behaviors are likely only going to continue to worsen and can affect the child (and family) for years to come.
Some things to consider when selecting a treatment program include:
- Residential treatment programs are arguably the best way for adolescents with sexually maladaptive behaviors to receive the thorough, intensive treatment that they need to overcome their behavioral issues.
- The residential environment is monitored 24 hours a day, 7 days a week while therapy is ongoing and treatment is provided around-the-clock.
- The residential environment allows continuous development of coping skills, safe interaction with peers in social settings and therapists that will guide and reshape behaviors into desirable and productive outcomes.
- Continuum of care after residential treatment. Resolute offers step-down solution via group homes and community/home-based therapy services to ensure success and lasting positive outcomes.
Program Philosophy & Benefits
At Resolute, our philosophy is to break the vicious cycle of victimization by providing the best care in the least restrictive environment possible. We offer adolescents a safe, secure, therapeutic and confidential setting where they can receive treatment, learn and execute new behaviors and coping skills while keeping in mind the steadfast goal of returning each child to his community as a productive and responsible member of society.
Types of Treatment
At Resolute Treatment Center, we offer a unique, multifaceted therapeutic program that is designed to give every child the chance to succeed academically, socially and emotionally. Some of the therapeutic measures we utilize in our facilities include:
- Medication management: In many cases, the presence of sexually maladaptive behaviors can occur alongside another mental health condition. In such instances, medication may be used in order to help alleviate the symptoms of that co-occurring disorder(s). All patients meet with a psychiatrist at least once a month in order to ensure the effectiveness of any medication that is prescribed and to make any changes that may be necessary.
- Individual therapy: Patients participate in a minimum of 1 to 2 individual therapy sessions per week but more sessions can be added based on individual needs. These sessions are designed to be a time for adolescents to meet one-on-one with a therapist in order to discuss concerns and to focus on the development and application of new skills.
- Group therapy: Group sessions are held daily and include both psycho-educational and process groups, including a daily sexual process group. These sessions are curriculum based and trauma-focused. Special ancillary groups are also held regularly and include topics such as assault cycles, trauma outcomes and healthy relationships.
- Family therapy: At Resolute, we view family involvement and participation in the treatment process as being paramount to ensuring that each child’s treatment is both effective and long-lasting. Family sessions are held at a minimum of once every two weeks but more are added when requested or deemed appropriate.
- School programming: Knowing how important a child’s education is, here at Resolute we make sure that each patient receives the services he needs in order to remain on track educationally. Our onsite school is full accredited and meets daily from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm. We observe regular school calendar schedules and take a break during summer as well.
In addition to previously mentioned services, Resolute also offers the following:
- Psychological testing
- Diagnostic and evaluation services
- Relapse prevention and protection planning
- Reunification/independent living and aftercare planning
At Resolute Treatment Center, we recognize that treatment is an ongoing process that does not just end once adolescents leave our program. In order to ensure continued success, our multidisciplinary staff works at creating thorough aftercare planning for each patient. We work intensively with adolescents as they become reunified with their families and begin reintegrating back into the community or working toward independent living.
Resolute works in conjunction with our three group homes and community-based home-based therapy services to provide continuing care and treatment. Our group homes provide step-down care to help reintegrate our residents into society, family and productive lives. Centerpointe works to provide home-based therapy for individuals and families following residency in our centers.